We're gonna be out of town for the weekend, just to let y'all know, but my Sunday Stills will still be up on Sunday (it's scheduled) on my other blog Cowgirl For Jesus, and when I get back I will have plenty to post about.
Speaking of having plenty to post about, can I just gripe for a moment?
Yesterday was my third day of work with the Kid's Factory. My THIRD day. And they left me and another guy (it was also his third day) in charge of 27 kids. I'm 17, he's 16, we've both been working three days. 27 kids, between the ages of 6 and 11. Is that CRAZY or what?? I mean, honestly! The site lead had the day off because it was her mother's birthday, and the other usual leader was out sick. A 16- and 17-year-old, not even adults, in charge of that many kids, and we had each only worked three days. I'm beginning to wonder what I've gotten myself into.
Frankly, I think if I stay with the program and make site lead (supervisor) next year, I could enjoy it and do well at it. But not doing it just one day when there's already been a lot of bad leadership. The kids know they don't have to listen to us, because we can't do anything to them. They're not dumb. The most we can do is a five-minute time-out, but how on earth are we supposed to give them a time-out when they're running in the other direction?? So coming in and taking charge one day here when I barely even know the kids, and they're used to the other leaders, was really tough.
But I don't want to just complain. Both the site lead and the other leader do a lot of complaining, about everything from the kids to our boss. I don't want to be like that. So I will conclude my post by saying that the Lord has blessed me with this job, and I intend to do my best in it! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Great attitude! Just remember even tho you can't do anything to the kids, you may never know how much you really impact their lives through the time you work with them.
I understand where your coming from! I worked at a daycare for a few months, and it was really tough. Those kids were berzerko and like you say, you can't do a thing to them!
That's a tough situation, for sure. Not cool at all when you have no real help! Hopefully it'll just be an occasional thing. I nannied three foster kids for 2 years, and their host family had zero rules or routine for them, it made it so hard to do my job!
Post a Comment