I love the turquoise blue color.
But they printed my nametag wrong. Argh!
So yesterday was my first day of work.
It's a good thing we're getting paid for this, because we aren't doing much. We're basically babysitting the kids (K-5th grade) for two hours, making sure they don't get into too much trouble, and having games for them to play if they want to. If they don't want to, there's not much we can do about it. There's not a whole lot of discipline, although we can give the kids time-outs if necessary.
Now each site is different, of course, based on the leaders and the supervisor that are at each site. I haven't yet met my new supervisor, my site lead, because she's out on vacation for the weekend. As for my new coworker, he's a character. He's a kurmudgeon who doesn't really like kids, who actually interacts with the kids really well, but who is not enthusiastic about anything. He was complaining before the kids started arriving that they're all bored all the time...I think I figured out why -- if you aren't excited about what you're leading, how are the kids supposed to be excited about being led???
At any rate, I need to be working here for a while yet, plus interacting with the site lead as well as the other leader, before I come to any conclusions about anything, and before I decide whether or not I can change anything. Frankly, part of me wants to just charge in here and try to take over and get everybody excited and run things my own way. But at the moment, I'm at the bottom of the totem pole (I was only just hired on WEDNESDAY, after all), and it will be awhile before I figure out if I can bring any difference, any positive influence, besides just my presence.
So for now, that's all the update I have to give. I don't work today or next Friday, but other than that I work Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, two hours each afternoon. I am blessed.

1 comment:
That sounds like a good job! Just might take some getting used to. One thing I learned early on in my short 5 years of being a working woman: There will always be a character or two that make your job really, really interesting. I think God must think it's funny to place them in our paths in order to...grow us...or something like that. I sure had my fair share, one in particular. Her name was Lynda, and she was the biggest thorn in my side. Needless to say, I learned a lot by dealing with her. A lot alot. :) Give it some time, and remember, you'll always get to keep the t-shirt. :P
God knows we need, and I'm glad He provided this job for you! Cool beans!
Post a Comment